Begin at once to live, and count each separate day as a separate life.
I’m in need of a vacation, but I’m an entrepreneur. Not easy! I’ve had a few days off here and there, and when there has been a long holiday weekend, but nothing fancy or very relaxing. Our budget, staffing and timing are all pointing to no summer vacation for the boss, yet…. I’ve discovered that I can have a summer vacation in bits and pieces and get some relaxation and satisfaction in while clients and customers are vacationing somewhere exotic. Here are my tips – I hope you can do one or two, or all seven of these!
- Have lunch alfresco with an old friend. This is one of my favorite ways to give my mind a break, catch up with an old friend, and feel the summer sun. Having lunch outside reminds me of trips to Italy, eating a delicious meal in the beautifully lit, golden sun of the piazza. There are very few such sun lit golden piazza’s in the area, but there are plenty of great restaurants with excellent menus, and an outdoor space that can help my mind pretend I’m in Italy, and take a short mental vacation over a delicious meal and good conversation.
- Catch after dinner drinks with coworkers and friends. We’ve had an explosion of great new gastropubs and new places to get handcrafted drinks in the area. Knocking work off a bit early, and joining some coworkers for happy hour has been another great way to take a short vacation break this summer. See below for my version of a Sherman Oaks Pub Crawl!
- Go to the movies – somewhere new! That’s right, go see a summer blockbuster and find a theatre in an area of town that you have never been to before, and have always wanted to explore. Make sure to order the large tub of popcorn, and have fun! Taking yourself somewhere new is another way to squeeze in some summer vacation during your startup grind. See below to catch summer movie classics!
- Watch the Sun Rise or the Sunset! Getting up to watch the sunrise, and greeting the day is a great way to be on “vacation” in your own backyard. If getting up early is not on your “vacation” schedule, make sure to set your alarm for the sunset. Grab a friend, or a loved one, your favorite beverage, and relax and watch the day close with spectacular colors and feelings of relaxation. Another way to feel like you’ve been away.
- Turn it all off. For a day or an afternoon (at least a few hours) without electronics. Shutting your phone off, turning off your computer, and staying away from binge watching anything on Netflix is a great way to put your mind in vacation mode. It also provides those of us in Startup Grind a much needed break with huge results. Do one of the above suggestions, just stay quiet, or walk your dog. This break will also allow you to have a small vacation in the middle of your startup grind!
- See some fireworks! One of my memorable mini summer vacation was taking the kids to the ballpark, eating hot dogs and enjoying being outside while watching one of my favorite sports. The park was featuring fireworks after the game. Though our home team lost, we had a blast watching and enjoying the fireworks!
- Do your favorite childhood activity! Being a kid in Chicago, winters were long, so when summer arrived, it meant long games of street baseball and ice cream! Getting a triple scoop of ice cream on a sugar cone meant summer vacation like nothing else. I seek out the best ice cream shop around, and treat myself to a triple scoop with sprinkles on a sugar cone! That takes me back to many an enjoyable summer vacation, and gives me a break from the startup grind.
Here are some local activities to enjoy this summer that are near our Sherman Oaks Coworking Location:
Pub Crawl – Sherman Oaks Style: Yes, you can do a small, yet fun pub crawl in Sherman Oaks with a group of friends or coworkers. ! Start at the Blue Dog Beer Tavern for a great craft brew, Pulled Pork Fries, and a delicious burger (my favorite is the Blue Dog ).Happy Hour starts at 3 p.m.!
A short block away is Public School 818 with an excellent rotating tap, Chorizo Mac & Cheese for starters and finish up with a Nutella Cookie Sandwich. Happy Hour starts at 4 p.m.
Then on to, Tipsy Cow! The Tipsy Cow is located just up the street on Ventura, a short walk from the above two pubs. They have a great seating area outside, where you can catch the vibe of Ventura Blvd., and the summer sun. Start off with the Tipsy Tacos, or the Buffalo Blue Haystack Fries. Wash that down with a great craft beer on tap. Finish the evening with one of their Signature Milkshakes like the What ths Fudge is a Frush (Vanilla ice cream, Nutella and Banana) that you can make Tipsy! What a way to enjoy summer! Happy hour starts at 3 p.m.
What is summer in Los Angeles without a visit to the Hollywood Bowl? This summer choose from an evening with the LA Philharmonic, see A Chorus Line, or get tickets for Buddy Guy and Jeff Beck.
Catch a production of Shakespeare’s “MidSummer Night’s Dream, ” in the wilds of Topanga Canyon at the Theatrium Botanicum.
Every Tuesday night during the summer, The Arclight Sherman Oaks is showing a classic movie on the big screen! Pick from classic favorites like Jaws, Dirty Harry or The Sandlot.